Support Worker at Francis House
Where will I serve? A hospice home on the Northside of Syracuse, a few doors down from the volunteer house.
Who will I serve? Individuals with terminal illnesses with a prognosis of six months or less to live and their families.
What will I do? You will balance your time between providing support to the residents and their families by visiting and listening to their stories, and assisting in the day-to-day care and responsibilities of the house. You will also assist in the mission of Francis House with development, fundraising and volunteer coordination.
What will my day look like?
- Visit with residents and families during the scheduled workday.
- Work in the kitchen helping prepare and serve meals to the residents.
- Assist residents to eat if trained.
- Assist with clerical duties in the Volunteer Office including maintaining the volunteer calendar and checking email and phone messages in the absence of the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Assist with bulk mailings including the Volunteer Newsletter, event mailings, St. Patrick’s Day mailing and the Annual Appeal.
- Assist with clerical tasks associated with the There’s No Place Like Home fundraiser.
- Assist all administrative staff with clerical tasks such as spreadsheet creation, photocopying and maintaining an adequate supply of resident binders.
- Answer the telephone in the absence of a reception volunteer.
- Report to the Executive Director.
- Additional tasks pertaining to areas such as direct care, not for profit management or intake may be available based upon your skills, knowledge and interests.
What gifts and talents will I bring and grow in? Organization. Excellent interpersonal, communication, computer and clerical skills. Detail oriented. Able to work well in a collaborative setting. Listen, be a friend to and set a good example for the volunteers, modeling the Franciscan values of respect and dignity.
Follow Kasia, FC23 around in a day in the life at Francis House!