Shelter Worker at Catholic Charities Men’s Shelter
Where will I serve? Directly in a homeless shelter on the outskirts of downtown Syracuse.
Who will I serve? Adult men in acute need of shelter and social services.
What will I do? You will be responsible for assisting in day to day operations of an emergency shelter as well as the programmatic side of services.
What will my day look like?
- Assist in providing 99 men with basic needs such as food, hygiene and bedding.
- Provide support alongside Case Workers to connect shelter guests with financial, medical and housing services.
- Provide social and emotional support for those in need.
- Provide first hand crisis and emergency intervention.
- Assist with intake interviews and familiarize shelter guests with the policies of the Men’s Shelter.
- Assist with completing assessments in order to refer shelter guests with appropriate community housing services.
- Attend various community meetings to assist with the collaboration of care.
- Be responsible for the completion of required goal development and documentation.
- Prepare program paperwork and complete data entry as required by the program.
- Be a representative of the Catholic Charities’ mission: Caring for those in need while promoting human development, collaboration, and the elimination of poverty and injustice. Striving to empower those served to transform their lives in the spirit of God’s love and compassion.
What gifts and talents will I bring and grow in? An interest in social work, interpersonal communication skills, computer skills, collaboration of community resources and supports, crisis intervention and assisting individuals with the development of a plan for future stability.
Follow Olav, FC23 around in a day in the life at Catholic Charities Men’s Shelter!