Assistant Director at Assumption Food Pantry & Soup Kitchen
Where will I serve? A food pantry and soup kitchen in the Northside of Syracuse connected to Assumption Church.
Who will I serve? Individuals and families in need of food assistance.
What will I do? You will be responsible for assisting in managing the day-to-day operations and procedures of both the Assumption Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry. The Assumption Soup Kitchen is responsible for feeding about 5000 people each month, while the Assumption Food Pantry provides about 800-900 homes with food each month. You will facilitate, coordinate, and work with the many volunteers in addition to supporting the Director in the daily operations of the Food Pantry and Soup Kitchen. You report to the Director of the Assumption Food Pantry and Soup Kitchen.
What will my day look like?
- Manage the front desk operations for the food pantry including registration, referrals, and client conversations
- Manage monthly food reporting to the food bank
- Keep records of food statistics for grants and benefactors
- Assist the Director in managing volunteers (recruitment, training, scheduling)
- Assist the Director in keeping awareness of inventory in the food pantry and soup kitchen
- Assist the Director in ordering food & supplies
- Receive and acknowledge donations of food
- Support and assist volunteers when possible
- Perform any of the daily tasks as needed when volunteers are absent
- Assist with the afternoon soup kitchen meal
What gifts and talents will I bring and grow in? A love for and desire to serve the poor. An understanding of Catholic Social Teaching. Strong organizational skills. Understanding and empathy for people with different circumstances.
Follow Miranda (FC23) and RaeAnn (FC24) around in a day in the life as the Assistant Director at the Assumption Food Pantry & Soup Kitchen!