Refugee Orientation Coordinator at Northside CYO
Where will I serve? The Northside CYO building located three blocks down the road from the Franciscan Church of the Assumption on the Northside of Syracuse.
Who will I serve? Newly arrived refugees.
What will I do? You will welcome our new neighbors to the United States, providing a friendly and compassionate person to help orient these newly arrived refugees. You will give refugees the help they need to begin to build a new life here in the United States by connecting them to educational, housing, job, language and health care assistance.
What will my day look like?
- Build relationships with and welcome refugees and their families.
- Receive training in services available to refugees and important information for them to know including but not limited to:
- How to access health care / Health Insurance and Medicaid / When to call 911, when to treat an illness or injury at home
- Fire safety / Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- Housing / When to call the Landlord / Housekeeping basics / Trash and Recycling
- Acclimating to a new climate / Heating costs / Weatherization
- Driving in the U.S. / Learner’s permit / License / Insurance / Registration / Inspection
- U.S. school system
- Public transportation
- Local resources / Libraries / Parks / Free things to do
- Community safety and U.S. laws
- Immigration Assistance / How to petition for relatives / Green cards / Citizenship
- Employment in the U.S.
- DSS / Public benefits / Limiting reliance and building economic self-sufficiency
- Assist in the development of an orientation program to deliver this information to newly arrived refugees.
- Deliver this orientation session on a regular basis, likely weekly or 3 half-day sessions every other week.
- Organize field trips and walking tours to reinforce the delivery of this information.
- Assist in resume preparation, interview skills, job searches, employment support and job development.
- Assist in English language/ESL education.
- Assist refugees in obtaining vital documentation including driver’s licenses and employment paperwork.
- Assist in the organization and administration of the Match Grant Program.
What gifts and talents will I bring and grow in? Ability to work with a diverse population. A welcoming, friendly and compassionate demeanor. An interest in hearing the stories of others. Patience and understanding. An interest in the immigration and refugee system.
Want to learn more about FrancisCorps? Reach out!
Ready to apply? Get started here!