Outreach Worker at Downtown Cathedral Emergency & Hospitality Services
Where will I serve? An office and food pantry located next to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Downtown Syracuse.
Who will I serve? Individuals in acute need of shelter, food or social services.
What will I do? You will be responsible for assisting in the operation of an emergency services and practical assistance office, a hospitality center for people who are homeless and a food pantry.
What will my day look like?
- Interview clients at Downtown Emergency Assistance Services office, assessing immediate needs and make referrals as appropriate.
- Assist in the operation of the Hospitality Center for people who are homeless, including providing fellowship, addressing acute needs and making referrals as appropriate.
- Provide immediate assistance (food, clothing, etc.) as available.
- Assist client in the application process for public benefits such as Food Stamps, Public Assistance, Child Health Plus, etc.
- Assist in general operation of the food pantry, including purchasing, stocking, preparing orders.
- Work with Emergency Shelters to assess client needs for furniture and household goods.
- Solicit furniture and household goods from individuals, churches, organizations and stores.
- Schedule daily pickups of donations and deliveries to clients.
- Assist with pickups and deliveries.
- Follow up with clients leaving shelter to assess on-going needs.
- Accompany home visits to clients as necessary.
- Prepare program paperwork and/or complete data entry as required by program.
- Participate in program and department staff meetings and training as necessary.
- Based on volunteer interest and availability, potentially assist with Catholic Charities’ Elderly Services and/or Relocation Assistance.
- Other program-related activities.
What gifts and talents will I bring and grow in? An interest in social work, community organizing, health and nutrition. Organization. Ability to be goal orientation. Ability to work well with a diverse group of clients and volunteers. Ability to work well as a team.
Want to learn more about FrancisCorps? Reach out!
Ready to apply? Get started here!