Youth Mentor at Vincent House
Where will I serve? At an after-school program on the Westside of Syracuse.
Who will I serve? At risk children and their families.
What will I do? You will be responsible for the overall operation of the after-school program on Monday – Friday from 2:00 PM – 5:30 PM. This may also include special programs during Syracuse City School District days off and Recess, with program time to be determined. Vincent House serves about 20 – 30 children daily on the Westside of Syracuse starting from Kindergarten to the age of twelve. You will be responsible for creating a safe and fun learning environment for the children to grow socially, emotionally, physically, and intellectually.
What will my day look like?
- Create a trusting relationship with the children.
- Supervise children during the after school program to ensure appropriate behavior at all times, providing discipline when needed.
- Plan and create Arts & Craft activities for children to do for rainy days.
- Transport children to and from program field trips.
- Keep detailed records of attendance and analyze this data on a monthly basis.
- Fill out injury reports when needed.
- Assist children with homework.
- Administrate the snack program, doing Bi-weekly snack shopping at BJ’s Wholesale for Vincent House Pre-K and After School Program, and preparing and serving snack daily.
- Familiarize yourself with the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and keep detail records of snacks served, completing all necessary forms and reporting.
- Use and maintain the Vincent House van.
- Keep the building organized and ensure it is being cleaned.
- Decorate Vincent House for special events and holidays.
- Supervise CNY Works staff and ensure timesheets for CNY Works and janitor is sent to appropriate person.
What gifts and talents will I bring and grow in? Ability to work with and interact with children. A caring and patient nature. Good interpersonal skills. Organization. Imagination and creativity. Ability to work as part of a team.