Refugee Orientation Coordinator at Northside CYO
Where will I serve? The Northside CYO building located three blocks down the road from the Franciscan Church of the Assumption on the Northside of Syracuse.
Who will I serve? Newly arrived refugees.
What will I do? You will welcome our new neighbors to the United States, providing a friendly and compassionate person to help orient these newly arrived refugees. You will give refugees the help they need to begin to build a new life here in the United States by connecting them to educational, housing, job, language and health care assistance.
What will my day look like?
- Build relationships with and welcome refugees and their families.
- Receive training in services available to refugees and important information for them to know including but not limited to:
- How to access health care / Health Insurance and Medicaid / When to call 911, when to treat an illness or injury at home
- Fire safety / Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- Housing / When to call the Landlord / Housekeeping basics / Trash and Recycling
- Acclimating to a new climate / Heating costs / Weatherization
- Driving in the U.S. / Learner’s permit / License / Insurance / Registration / Inspection
- U.S. school system
- Public transportation
- Local resources / Libraries / Parks / Free things to do
- Community safety and U.S. laws
- Immigration Assistance / How to petition for relatives / Green cards / Citizenship
- Employment in the U.S.
- DSS / Public benefits / Limiting reliance and building economic self-sufficiency
- Assist in the development of an orientation program to deliver this information to newly arrived refugees.
- Deliver this orientation session on a regular basis, likely weekly or 3 half-day sessions every other week.
- Organize field trips and walking tours to reinforce the delivery of this information.
- Assist in resume preparation, interview skills, job searches, employment support and job development.
- Assist in English language/ESL education.
- Assist refugees in obtaining vital documentation including driver’s licenses and employment paperwork.
- Assist in the organization and administration of the Match Grant Program.
What gifts and talents will I bring and grow in? Ability to work with a diverse population. A welcoming, friendly and compassionate demeanor. An interest in hearing the stories of others. Patience and understanding. An interest in the immigration and refugee system.