What are the benefits?
FrancisCorps will support you with:
- A comfortable home to live in (with WiFi!), rent and utility costs included,
- A monthly community stipend for food and supplies ($100/volunteer/month),
- A small monthly personal stipend for personal expenses ($100/volunteer/month),
- Transportation to and from your service site,
- No fundraising requirement,
- Medical insurance provided by the work placement site (volunteers may elect to maintain their health insurance through their families),
- Help navigating the process of deferring student loans (we can’t do it for you but we can help you through it!),
- Flexibility with personal travel when the need arises (such as job interviews, family functions, weddings, emergencies),
- Opportunities to host guests and share the FrancisCorps experience with your friends, family and loved ones,
- Monthly one-on-one meetings with each volunteer,
- Participation in the weekly community night,
- Open and available lines of communication between you and your volunteer community and the entire FrancisCorps staff,
- A weeklong orientation retreat to begin the year,
- Three weekend retreats on community, service and prayer,
- A weeklong pilgrimage experience to Assisi, Italy,
- A transition retreat to end the year,
- Least expensive transportation from Syracuse, NY to your home at the end of the experience.
The selection of where your service experience will take place is one of mutual decision making and we do not simply place you at a site. Instead we ask you where and in what environment you feel God is calling you to serve. Your preferences in terms of service sites are considered as well as what we heard from you in the interview and the interests of the other volunteers you will be serving with. Consideration and conversation regarding your service site placement begins with the application and we arrive at a final decision of service site placement together after a period of prayer, reflection, and dialogue. We do our best to make sure that where you will be serving will be fulfilling, challenging and life giving!
The collaborative nature of this process requires both you and us to remain open to the Holy Spirit. Our preference is to finalize service site placements in the Spring in order to consider where each community member is feeling called, however, decisions on service site placements may occur earlier or later in the process depending on your needs, the needs of FrancisCorps or the needs of the service sites.
The volunteer house is located in the Syracuse, NY neighborhood called the Northside. You’ll live in a cozy and fully furnished house consisting of 8 bedrooms (you’ll get your own room!), two bathrooms, a dining room, communal living space, a prayer space, a kitchen, basement with washer and dryer, and an upstairs porch. The house is also located within a 10-15 minute drive to all service sites and downtown, and a 5 minute drive to Assumption Church, the parish where you will be a member.
As a FrancisCorps volunteer you will commit to:
- One year (end of July – end of June) of serving, praying and living in community in Syracuse, NY,
- Eat at least one meal as a community together, daily,
- Pray together some form of prayer as a community together, daily,
- Be available to one another to share your journey and experience, daily,
- Celebrate community night with a FrancisCorps support person, weekly,
- Share in a community meeting, weekly,
- Engage in a community faith sharing, weekly,
- Attend the Sunday Catholic Mass together as a community, weekly,
- Attend key liturgical moments throughout the year,
- Serve those marginalized, economically or otherwise, approximately 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at a service site,
- Participate in 5 retreats and a pilgrimage,
- Abide by the FrancisCorps personal conduct and alcohol and drug policy.