Requirements: What you’ll give and what you’ll get
A typical FrancisCorps volunteer will be:
- Male or female,
- A young adult age 21 to 25,
- A recent college graduate and/or have relevant life experience,
- Roman Catholic or other Christian denomination,
- *Eligible to be employed in the U.S.,
- *Able to travel outside the U.S. on retreat and on pilgrimage.
What you’ll give
As a FrancisCorps volunteer you will commit to:
- One year (end of July – end of June) of serving, praying and living in community in Syracuse, NY,
- Eat at least one meal as a community together, daily,
- Pray together some form of prayer as a community together, daily,
- Be available to one another to share your journey and experience, daily,
- Celebrate community night with a FrancisCorps support person, weekly,
- Share in a community meeting, weekly,
- Engage in a community faith sharing, weekly,
- Attend the Sunday Catholic Mass together as a community, weekly,
- Attend key liturgical moments throughout the year,
- Serve those marginalized, economically or otherwise, approximately 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at a service site,
- Participate in 5 retreats and a pilgrimage,
- Abide by the FrancisCorps personal conduct and alcohol and drug policy.
Brother Sun & Sister Moon!
What you’ll get
FrancisCorps will support you with:
- A comfortable home to live in (with WiFi!), rent and utility costs included,
- A monthly community stipend for food and supplies ($100 x # of community member/month),
- A small monthly personal stipend for personal expenses ($100/volunteer/month),
- Transportation to and from your service site,
- No fundraising requirement,
- Medical insurance provided by the work placement site (volunteers may elect to maintain their health insurance through their families),
- Help navigating the process of deferring student loans (we can’t do it for you but we can help you through it!),
- Flexibility with personal travel when the need arises (such as job interviews, family functions, weddings, emergencies),
- Opportunities to host guests and share the FrancisCorps experience with your friends, family and loved ones,
- Monthly one-on-one meetings with each volunteer,
- Participation in the weekly community night,
- Open and available lines of communication between you and your volunteer community and the entire FrancisCorps staff,
- A weeklong orientation retreat to begin the year,
- Three weekend retreats on community, service and prayer,
- A weeklong pilgrimage experience to Assisi, Italy,
- A transition retreat to end the year,
- Least expensive transportation from Syracuse, NY to your home at the end of the experience.
*International applicants must arrange for the proper immigration and visa documentation. Canadian citizens who wish to apply to the program must arrange for a multiple entry B1 or B2 visa for the United States of America. All FrancisCorps applicants must be proficient in English.
We love Canada, eh!